For your last out-of-class graded assignment, I ask you to attend an arts event in Houston and write a review/commentary on that event that will be submitted to the Daily Cougar or the Houston Chronicle.
I leave it up to you what type of arts performance you would like to review for this assignment. However, the criteria are: this must be a (1) professional and (2) live type of arts performance. What qualifies:
- Live concerts
- Theater performances
- Opera and ballet
- Visual Art exhibits (new and temporary/traveling exhibits at museums, excluding permanent collections)
You can find information about what’s going on in Houston arts scene at:
They also have a list of free events you can attend at: http://www.artshound.com/categories/index/12/0/FREE_EVENTS
Suggestions on how to write a great piece:
- Review an art’s event that is timely
- Use your reporting skills to provide your readers with the facts: Answer the ‘Who,’ ‘What’ and ‘Why’ questions, and use your judgment if to report on the rest of the W questions.
- Besides providing your readers with the facts, insert your opinion while answering the “Who” and ‘What’ questions. Provide interpretation of the art or/and the artists you are reviewing.
- When inserting your own opinion, answer the question “Why” (why do you think that way?)
- Write your piece with your audiences in mind (UH students or Houstonians that read the Chronicle). Write for outsiders.
- Write in short clear sentences.
- Limit your column between 400- 500 words.
- Submit your column on Blackboard.
- Due Date: December 8th, by 01:00pm.
- Have fun. Energy, humanity, and creativity are rewarded in this business.
Also, I strongly suggest you read how other people write reviews in most prestigious publications in order to learn from the BEST! Here are a couple of suggestions:
The New York Times arts page
The Washington Post entertainment page
The Houston Chronicle entertainment page
The Rolling Stones (specialized in music)